Casein protein before bed

Related Posts

  • Top 5 fitness myths fitness science muscles diet exercise5 FITNESS MYTHS THAT WON’T GO AWAY

    You have surely heard some of them before – there is something special about them – they simply won’t go away. If you’re new to dieting, it’s easy to fall for the myths. Fitness myths Read more…

  • Can Insulin help you build muscle?

    “Eat some candy after your workout, you need to keep those insulin levels high bro, that’s how you get jacked”. No “bro”, it isn’t. Insulin is a hormone that tells your body’s cells to use Read more…

  • How to prevent injury

    You’ve probably heard that training too much can get you injured. You’ve probably also heard that training too little makes you weaker and more likely to get injured. This is the injury paradox. Training can Read more…

  • How to track progress

    A good workout program motivates you to get back to the gym for your next workout. For many people, the making PROGRESS gives a rewarding feeling which makes us want to keep training. (1) That’s Read more…

My parents used to tell me to drink a lot of milk. I never understood why, til I found out that milk was made up of two types of protein, casein and whey (okay, that was a joke). Casein accounts for roughly 80% of the milk protein and whey for the remaining 20%. Simple and plain the difference between the two are how fast they’re absorbed. Whey gets absorbed faster than casein.

New Study on Casein

Previous acute data show that a bolus (40g is typically used) of casein – a slow digesting milk protein – consumed before bed results in a higher muscle protein balance during the overnight period compared to both baseline and a non-protein placebo. Follow-up longitudinal research showed that nighttime protein consumption enhanced strength and muscle size compared to a non-protein placebo over a 12-week period, as well; however, daily protein intake was not matched between groups (1.3 versus 1.9 g/kg).

Training controlled

A study last year found no differences between groups consuming and not consuming pre-sleep protein with daily protein matched, but resistance training was not controlled. The present study is the first study to control training and daily protein intake while comparing nighttime versus protein consumption at another time of day. Interestingly, no significant differences between groups were found.

It’s absolutely not critical to get a bolus of protein before bed. It could theoretically help, but that hasn’t panned out in the applied research yet, so I would view this as one of those “cherry on top” nutritional strategies.

If you do decide to adopt this strategy, probably don’t have a big, mixed meal consisting of a lot of calories and dietary fat as a vehicle for your protein bolus, as this could have a negative effect on your sleep. Sleep quality shouldn’t be negatively impacted, though, if you just consume 30-40 g of protein.

You don’t need to go out and buy casein, as cottage cheese and lean meats would serve the same purpose just as well.

Article from MASS – Monthly Applications in Strength Sport: The journal any serious personal trainer or coach needs to stay updated. We can’t even begin to explain how amazing content you’ll find on there. That’s why we choose to endorse it on our Instagram. MASS stands for what EBT stands for: SCIENCE over BROSCIENCE.

As we are affiliates, EBT readers can get a free sample issue to discover how useful MASS is. A subscription comes with everything shown below and more



Joy et al. Daytime and nighttime casein supplements similarly increase muscle size and strength in response to resistance training earlier in the day: a preliminary investigation. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018;15(1):24.

Stay Updated

With the latest science updates. We don’t spam! 

By clicking on subscribe you agree to our Privacy PolicyTerms & Condititions